Sunday, May 30, 2010

Shoplifting From American Apparel (Pages 34-68)

Title: Shoplifting From American Apparel
Author: Tao Lin
Pages: 34-68

SUMMARY: After released from police station, Sam chats with Luis on gmail and Luis reminds him that his life is actually miserable. Sam's parents were living in Taiwan and he got arrested. They again have an interesting chat about how Sam has good rankings on amazon. It turns out Sam has to do community service for weeks until he pays off for his crime. Sam resides with brother Ben and his girlfriend Julia in Manhattan. On Christmas Eve, Sam receives new year messages from Kaitlyn and Mallory then goes with them to drink. They get drunk easily with other writers. Sam and Kaitlyn go to Sam's brothers apartment and make love. Sam has a moment of paradox. He wants to move on with Kaitlyn but he doesn't want to forget Sheila. A month later, Sam walks into New York University 's computer store and picks a Sony "in-ear" headphones and put it in his pockets. A short Hispanic woman stops Sam and asks him what is in his pockets and he answers cellphone. Sam admits that she caught him and again he goes through the same phase he did back when he shoplifted from American Apparel. Sam again ends up in the police station.

QUOTATION: "'I haven't been arrested and my parents haven't left the country I'm residing in. I don't speak to my parents but I'm already over that. So it is different with you. You didn't tell me that. I feel like petting your head'" (Lin 37).

REACTION: The speaker was Luis. Luis compares his life with Sam. This quote made me realize how screwed up Sam's life is. He is an adult but it feels like he needs someone to guide him. That's my opinion because this guy keeps shoplifting. Is that a mental issue, does it have a reason behind it? I should have asked Mr. Tao Lin.

No comments:

Post a Comment